Wednesday 10 December 2014

GROWING OUT OF HYPOCRISY


Seven years ago I made a decision, and since then, there has been major spiritual growth in my life (also physical growth judging by the fact that I no longer fit into certain clothes in my cupboard!).

On the 8th December 1991 I was baptized. 1 Peter 3:21 says:  "In baptism we show that we have been saved from death and doom by the resurrection of Christ; not because our bodies are washed clean by the water, but because by being baptized we are turning to God and asking Him to cleanse our hearts from sin".

My mother had telephoned me to ask if she could attend my baptism service.  She wanted to be there to share the experience with me.  I told her very politely not to bother as I was fine on my own.  She did not  pursue it any further, but I knew I had hurt her and I had done so intentionally. I was still trying to get back at her for the hurts from my childhood.

There was so much anger and un-forgiveness in my heart that my baptism was more an act of self-righteousness and hypocrisy than "dying to sin and living for righteousness" (1 Peter 2:24).

Sixteen years after my baptism I was still struggling with a sense of hypocrisy and I was tired of being lukewarm about my faith.  I was tired of confessing one thing with my mouth but doubting God's Word in my heart; tired of worrying and constantly questioning myself and my faith.
I needed to decide whether or not I was going to do what Psalm 37 instructs:
"Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.  Delight yourself in the LORD and He will give you the desires of your heart.  Commit your way to the LORD; trust in Him and He will do this:  He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun"
In the book of Matthew, the Lord declares:  "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled ... Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God"

I longed to have a right relationship with God, a deeper more intimate relationship, a living and growing relationship.
I wanted to see Him in every aspect of my life, so I made the choice to believe Him and committed these words from Romans 3:23-24, to my memory and heart;
"All have sinned; all fall short of God's glorious ideal; yet now God declares us 'not guilty' of offending Him if we trust in Jesus Christ, who in His kindness freely takes away our sins".
I made a conscious decision to remember Psalm 37:23-24, which reads:
The LORD makes firm the steps of the one who delights in Him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with His hand"
Every morning when I wake I put my hand into the Father's hand and ask Him to uphold me for the day.
"May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer"  Psalm 19:14 
Extract from "God's Promise for Families"

BOOK VIDEO

2 comments: