Wednesday 16 April 2014

THE OTHER SIDE OF DIVORCE!




A friend of mine who has been divorced and is now remarried wrote this to me in response to my article The promise to never divorce http://www.startmarriageright.com/2014/04/the-promise-to-never-divorce/


I asked her whether I could share it on my blog site and she graciously agreed!

"No criticism but a remembrance of my broken ideals about marriage and wanting to add a balance.
Divorce is a terrible thing  which God said he hated. When couples marry, it is with both their consent. When they later divorce, it is usually the choice of only one person and the other has little choice in the matter. In our fragile humanity we have to know that the promise of marriage can be broken at any time.At times it is also the better of two evils- when there is abuse or serial unfaithfulness.
Divorce causes irreparable damage to so many- children, adults, grandparents. It does not stop after the split has occurred- it continues till the day those affected die. The incredible hope though, for those scarred by it, is that God is the healer of all things. Yes, children suffer, and need  much love as they go through life- many times they need professional support too.However, we also need to emphasise that God understands we will sin and even uses those situations to build character. This character building in both the children and spouses gives them abundant life in areas they could never have dreamed of. It also equips them with skills to walk the lonely road with others who do not have Jesus in their lives.
I think that what I wanted to say is that those who read your blog and are struggling with the issue of divorce must know that God is faithful in every situation. Yes, they may walk through the valley, but He is with them. He has also said in Isaiah that He would be their "spouse". He will be the Mother and Father to their children. They are not without hope.
Praise God that you can tell your kids you will never divorce. Tell them too that they will have to work on their marriages always, putting God first and guarding and nurturing their spouse's spiritual walk with God. Psalm 127 says, "Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain who build it"
God has blessed me with a husband and enriched me so much with what He has taught me. I also have such a heart for those poor people who do it alone."


Yes, divorce is a sin BUT God says in 1 John 9 "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins ..." and then in Isaiah 43:25 He adds these beautiful words
"I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more" 

Thank you my friend for writing this and allowing me to share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment